Step by step guide to become a Chemical Engineer 2021: Engineering is a branch of science and technology which dealt with planning, designing, construction and management of machinery, roads, bridges, building etc.
There are different types of engineering available and Chemical Engineering is one of them which is involved in designing and supervision of different chemical reactors, chemical process in industries.
In present days, chemical engineering emerges as one of the significant branch as the demand of renewable energy resources like hydroelectric and solar is increases.
This area needs more innovations and developments to meet our energy requirements from these resources.
Chemical Engineers applies the principal of physics, chemistry, biology and mathematics to overcome the problems that they face during the production of different products in chemicals, drugs, food etc. They are also involved in the designing of equipment and control operation in large-scale production.
The processes that developed in lab are applied in different practical application such as production of plastics, medicines, detergents, fuels and many other products. To become a Chemical Engineer, read the following details carefully.
How to become a Chemical Engineer?
- Must have passed 10+2 in science and mandatory to have Physics, Chemistry, Maths to get admission in graduation in Chemical Engineering.
- Must be successfully clear different entrance exams such as JEE Main /JEE Advanced, state entrance exams etc.
- A student can take admission for diploma in Chemical Engineering after 10th grade where he can get a position of junior engineer.
- After B. Tech or B.E, a student can take admission in M. Tech.
Role of a Chemical Engineer
The area of a chemical engineer is very vast. After having proper skills, a chemical engineer can have different types of job profiles as Analytical Chemist, Energy Manager, Environmental Engineer, Production Engineer, Material Engineer, Mining Engineer, Lecturer are discussed below:
- Analytical Chemist: The main responsibilities of an analytical chemist is to test and study about behaviors and composition of different chemical substances.
- Energy Manager: An energy manager conducts energy audits and also monitors use of energy in different organizations or industries.
- Environmental Engineer: The principals of chemistry, biology, soil science and engineering are used to innovate and develop new techniques to solve different environmental problems.
- Production Engineer: A production manager evaluates projects and measure the requirements of resources and made plans of production schedule.
- Material Engineer: The material engineers are specialist in metals, ceramics, or plastics and produce new composite materials, also research on atomic structure of different materials.
- Mining Engineer: They are involved in extracting minerals, oil, gas and metals which are resources from underground.
- Lectures: Chemical Engineers can join as a lecturer after completing required degrees in different colleges and universities.
Working Areas of a Chemical Engineer
Job opportunity for a chemical engineer is covered huge area and hires most of the industrial sectors. Generally, a chemical engineer converts raw materials into required useable products.
The areas where chemical engineers are hired such as oil refineries, gas and oil extraction, power generation sectors, pharmaceutical companies, agrochemical industries, fibers and polymer industries, beverage industries, universities, colleges and schools etc.
Required skills of a Chemical Engineer
- Analytical Skills: Chemical Engineers face many difficulties while working on designing and planning a process. So, they must have the ability to ask questions and find the proper solution of it.
- Creativity: With the advancement of time, they are involved to innovate new product, latest modified technology and their application.
- Ingenuity: Chemical Engineers has the concepts of different chemical process and they must have the ability to apply their knowledge in solving problems in production.
- Interpersonal Skills: They need to work with different people to complete his projects. They should be comfortable in working with other co-workers who are involved in same project.
- Math Skills: To design, analysis and solving problems, you must be expert in using the fundamental knowledge of maths.
- Problem-solving Ability: When chemical engineers are involved in designing and manufacturing of equipment and processes, they must have ability to explore problems and issues regarding safety in manufacturing process.
Major Recruiting industries of Chemical Engineers
Some leading companies and industries offered various posts for skilled chemical engineers.
The top recruiting companies who hired chemical engineers are Reliance Industries, Essar Oil Limited, Deepak Fertilizers and Petrochemicals, Arofine Polymers, Reliance Petroleum Limited, Colour-Chem Ltd, Gujarat Gas Company Limited, Gujarat Alkalies & Chemicals Ltd, Godavari Fertilizers & Chemicals, L & T, etc.
Average Package of a Chemical Engineer
Most of the companies offered chemical engineers a satisfactory amount in different sectors who are well experienced and skilled in their respective fields. An average package of a Chemical Engineer is given below:
- Beginner: INR 2,20,000
- Experienced: INR 3,60,000
- Senior: INR 4,80,000
- Beginner: INR 2,50,000
- Experienced: INR 4,00,000
- Senior: INR 6,50,000
- Beginner: INR 2,50,000
- Experienced: INR 3,80,000
- Senior: INR 5,00,000
- Beginner: INR 2,50,000
- Experienced: INR 4,50,000
- Senior: INR 6,20,000
- Beginner: INR 2,50,000
- Experienced: INR 3,75,000
- Senior: INR 5,50,000
All the figures mentioned above are not absolute and subject to change and varies from company to company.
Important Books for Chemical Engineer
The following books are helpful for different competitive or entrance exams and to develop your knowledge regarding chemical engineering.
- Unit Operations of Chemical Engineering – Warren L McCabe
- Elements of Chemical Reaction Engineering – H Scott Fogler
- Introduction to Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics – Hedrick C Van Ness
- Elementary Principles of Chemical Processes – Richard M Felder
- Chemical Reaction Engineering – Octave Levenspiel
- Introduction to Chemical Engineering – WL Badger
Pros and Cons of becoming Chemical Engineer
- Chemical Engineers made positive changes for the advancement of society and are provided health benefits, pension after retirement etc.
- They do work in hazardous conditions which is physically harmful.
- Most of the time they are involved in research and innovative ideas. Hence, they don’t have sufficient free time.
Top Institutions for Chemical Engineering
- Indian Institution of Technology, Roorkee
- Indian Institute of Technology Delhi, Delhi
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur
- SRM University, Amaravati
- Amity University, Noida
- Lovely Professional University, Phagwara
- Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
- Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
Way to Become a Chemical Engineer
Students should have pursued Physics, Mathematics, Biology and Chemistry as main subject in 10+2.
To become a Chemical Engineer, you must have Bachelor’s Degree in chemical engineering. Candidate should have clear understanding of Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and Biology.
If you have pursued Master’s Degree in the respective field, then you can go for research and get higher posts.
- Related Article – How to Become a Software Engineer?
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. Who is known as the father of Chemical Engineer?
Ans: George Edward Davis is known as the father of Chemical Engineering.
Q2. What is the expectation of growth of Chemical Engineers in near future?
Ans: It is expected that the demand of Chemical Engineers will grow by 7% in coming times.
Q3. What are the subject combination to take admission in Chemical Engineering?
Ans: The subject combination to take admission in Chemical Engineering are Physics, Mathematics /Biology and Chemistry as the main subject in 10+2.
Q4. How much average salary a Chemical Engineer get?
Ans: A chemical engineer get an average salary of INR 2.5 LPA to 6 LPA.